Department of Classics
The University of Mississippi

Alicia Dixon – Alumna Spotlight

Alicia DixonLLM in Art, Business, and Law student, Queen Mary University of London

Hometown: Baldwyn, MS
BA in Classics with an emphasis in Latin, Philosophy; minor in English (2017)
LinkedIn Profile

Why did you choose your majors?
I took Latin and Philosophy 101 my first semester, and they started a chain reaction which has heavily impacted my life since.

What were some significant accomplishments or memories from your time at UM?
I started the first UM Ethics Bowl team with my two close friends. At the time, we were specifically an archaeological ethics bowl team, but the team still exists and competes in intercollegiate ethics bowl nationally. Read about her time in that first Ethics Bowl team.

Tell us about your educational/career path since UM.
I left UM and went to Georgetown Law. I have worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings, where I performed legal research on regulatory law issues. I graduated with my JD in 2020, passed the bar in 2021, and moved to London to get my LLM in Art, Business, and Law at Queen Mary University of London. My experiences and success at UM definitely played a big role in giving me the confidence I needed to study and work abroad in law school and move abroad to continue studying so early in my career.

I am working toward a career focusing on the nexus of human rights and cultural heritage protection. I am passionate about cultural heritage as an integral factor of identity-building and the human experience.

What is the value of studying classics and philosophy in today’s world?
The humanities changed me as a person. They teach you how to think, and I think a lot of people realize that. But they also teach you how to listen, have compassion, learn from the past, and be a good citizen. My undergrad education was vital to becoming who I am now.